Is methadone safe for long-term use?

Methadone can be taken indefinitely by people addicted to narcotics. Some addicts have used this treatment for years to control withdrawal without serious side effects. Because methadone is addictive, it should not be used for long-term for pain relief, unless there are no other options, or the person has a terminal illness. People taking methadone must be monitored carefully and a doctor will decide how long a course of treatment should last.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...