Is it safe to drink alcohol if I am taking Subutex?

You should not drink alcohol if you take Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioids, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Alcohol and Subutex are both central nervous system depressants; if you take them together, the combination can cause your breathing to get dangerously slow, causing serious problems or even death.

Before taking Subutex, be honest with your doctor and pharmacist about your use of alcohol. Also give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary and herbal supplements. Many different drugs and several supplements may interact with Subutex, potentially causing problems. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...