How should I store Subutex?

Store Subutex (buprenorphine) tablets in the container in which they came, with the lid tightly closed, at room temperature (59 to 86 degrees F). Keep it away from moisture and light, and make sure it's out of reach and sight of children. It should also be inaccessible to anyone who might abuse it.

If you have expired Subutex, or if you have some left after you've stopped taking it, ask your doctor or pharmacist about the best way to dispose of it.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What medications interact with opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. ...