How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?

Travis M. Hendry, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) in one of these ways:
  • Drop it off at a drug collection site -- this is the best option. Check with your police department, or check online for a current list of collection sites.
  • Flush opioid pain medication down the toilet. (Note: This is not the method recommended for most other medications.)

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...