How often are opioids prescribed in the US?

The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribing rate of 81.3 prescriptions per 100 persons. The rates have decreased since, but despite these reductions, the amount of opioids prescribed remains high. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that in 2016, the total number of prescriptions dispensed in the US was more than 214 million, with a prescribing rate of 66.5 prescriptions per 100 persons. The generous prescribing habits of clinicians is particularly important, as CDC data also show that 40 percent of all US opioid overdose deaths involve a prescription opioid.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...