Can I use Opana if I have a history of mental illness?

People with a history of mental illness can take the pain medication Opana (oxymorphone) but need to be aware of some extra risks. Opana can be habit forming, and people with a history of mental illness or an addiction disorder are at increased danger of abusing it.

Let your doctor know if you have a history of alcoholism. Drinking alcohol while on Opana can increase the medication's potency and cause severe side effects, even death. Your doctor may decide not to prescribe Opana or will lower your dosage based on how much you drink.

You should not take Opana if you now use, or in the last 14 days have used, an antidepressant that is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as tranylcypromine (Parnate), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), isocarboxazid (Marplan) or selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar). MAOIs increase the potency of narcotic pain medication like Opana, which can cause severe side effects and even a fatal overdose.

Finally, let your doctor know if you use any sedatives, tranquilizers, hypnotics, illicit drugs, seizure medicines, antianxiety drugs or other antidepressants or medicines for mental illness. This information may affect the amount of Opana, if any, your doctor decides is safe to give you.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...