Can I use Nucynta if I have a history of alcoholism?

If you have a history of alcoholism or if someone in your family is struggling with alcoholism or has in the past, be aware that the pain medication Nucynta (tapentadol) can be habit forming and that people with a history of alcoholism may be more susceptible to abusing it. Make sure your doctor knows about your alcohol use before you begin taking Nucynta. He or she will likely want to monitor you closely while you're on the drug.

Also, drinking alcohol (or taking medication that contains alcohol) while on Nucynta can increase the medication's potency and cause severe side effects. Let your doctor know how much you drink. He or she may decide not to prescribe Nucynta or will calculate your dosage accordingly.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
What are opioid medications?
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...