Can I use Exalgo if I have a history of thyroid disease?

If you have a history of thyroid disease, the powerful pain medication Exalgo (hydromorphone) may not be right for you. This is especially true if you have hypothyroidism, or low thyroid function.

If your doctor wants to prescribe Exalgo for you, be sure to bring up your thyroid condition. That way he or she can determine if Exalgo is the best drug for managing your pain, and if so, what dose you can safely take.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...