Can I use Exalgo if I am taking buprenorphine?

If you're taking buprenorphine (Subutex, Suboxone), a drug typically used to treat addiction to opioids, you should not also take Exalgo (hydromorphone). Exalgo, a powerful pain medication derived from morphine, is itself an opioid and will not work as effectively when taken along with buprenorphine. In fact, the combination could lead to withdrawal symptoms. Make sure your doctor knows that you're on buprenorphine if he or she wants to prescribe Exalgo. You'll need to take a different medication for your pain.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...