Can I use Exalgo if I have a history of prostate problems?

Exalgo (hydromorphone), a strong medication used to relieve continuous moderate to severe pain, may not be right for men with a history of prostate problems. If you have an enlarged prostate, Exalgo can make it difficult for you to pass urine.

Be sure to tell your doctor if you have prostate problems so that he or she can decide if Exalgo is right for you or if you should take a different drug to manage your pain.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...