Can I use Dilaudid if I am taking butorphanol?

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) may not be effective if you're already receiving butorphanol (Stadol). Dilaudid is a medication that's prescribed to relieve moderate to severe pain. Butorphanol is an injected drug that's also used for treating pain. Butorphanol may block the activity of Dilaudid so that it isn't as effective for relieving pain. If you're already receiving butorphanol injections, tell a doctor if he or she prescribes Dilaudid.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...