Can I use Dilaudid if I am taking butorphanol?

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) may not be effective if you're already receiving butorphanol (Stadol). Dilaudid is a medication that's prescribed to relieve moderate to severe pain. Butorphanol is an injected drug that's also used for treating pain. Butorphanol may block the activity of Dilaudid so that it isn't as effective for relieving pain. If you're already receiving butorphanol injections, tell a doctor if he or she prescribes Dilaudid.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...