Can I take Nucynta ER if I have a history of addiction?

The pain medication Nucynta ER (extended-release tapentadol) can be habit-forming, particularly for people with a history of addiction. If you fall into that category, discuss your addiction background with your doctor. You should be carefully monitored while taking Nucynta ER. Always take the drug exactly as your doctor prescribes and swallow the pills whole with plenty of water. Nucynta ER is formulated to release its active ingredient over 12 hours. If you crush, chew or dissolve the pill, you can immediately release the entire day's supply into your system, which could cause a fatal overdose.

Also be aware that Nucynta ER carries a black box warning about drinking alcohol or using any medication containing it. Alcohol can cause your body to absorb Nucynta ER too rapidly and release extremely high amounts into your bloodstream. The result could be a deadly overdose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
More Answers
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
More Answers
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...
More Answers
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.