Can I take Nucynta ER if I have a history of addiction?

The pain medication Nucynta ER (extended-release tapentadol) can be habit-forming, particularly for people with a history of addiction. If you fall into that category, discuss your addiction background with your doctor. You should be carefully monitored while taking Nucynta ER. Always take the drug exactly as your doctor prescribes and swallow the pills whole with plenty of water. Nucynta ER is formulated to release its active ingredient over 12 hours. If you crush, chew or dissolve the pill, you can immediately release the entire day's supply into your system, which could cause a fatal overdose.

Also be aware that Nucynta ER carries a black box warning about drinking alcohol or using any medication containing it. Alcohol can cause your body to absorb Nucynta ER too rapidly and release extremely high amounts into your bloodstream. The result could be a deadly overdose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...