Can I use Dilaudid if I have a history of alcoholism?

If you have a history of alcoholism or drug dependence, tell your doctor before taking Dilaudid (hydromorphone). Dilaudid is a pain reliever that belongs to a group of medications called opioid analgesics. Clinical experience shows that people who have abused alcohol or drugs in the past have a high risk for becoming addicted to Dilaudid and other opioid analgesics. For that reason, doctors use great caution when prescribing Dilaudid to people with a history of alcoholism or drug dependence.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...