Can I become dependent on or addicted to Exalgo?

It's possible to become dependent on or addicted to the powerful pain medication Exalgo (hydromorphone). Both dependency, in which your body will go into withdrawal if you stop taking a drug suddenly, and addiction, in which you take a drug more for pleasure than to relieve physical pain, are potential side effects of many pain drugs. However, they aren't inevitable. You're more at risk if you have a history of drug or alcohol abuse, so your doctor will need to know about that in order to decide if you can safely take Exalgo. And whether you have such a history or not, your doctor will put you on the lowest effective dose of Exalgo to minimize the chances that you become dependent on it or addicted to it, and he or she will monitor you carefully while you're taking it.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...