Can I use Actiq if I have a history of emphysema?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of emphysema, but tell your doctor. Actiq is a narcotic lozenge that you hold in your mouth (it comes on a stick, similar to a lollipop) for 15 minutes for quick relief of breakthrough cancer pain. Like most narcotics, it affects the central nervous system, slowing breathing and potentially leading to breathing problems. These problems may be worse if you have a chronic lung disease such as emphysema. Emphysema is a form of chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD), which damages the air sacs in the lungs. If you have a history of emphysema, and you are using Actiq, your doctor will carefully monitor your lung function.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...