Can I use Actiq if I have a history of emphysema?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of emphysema, but tell your doctor. Actiq is a narcotic lozenge that you hold in your mouth (it comes on a stick, similar to a lollipop) for 15 minutes for quick relief of breakthrough cancer pain. Like most narcotics, it affects the central nervous system, slowing breathing and potentially leading to breathing problems. These problems may be worse if you have a chronic lung disease such as emphysema. Emphysema is a form of chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD), which damages the air sacs in the lungs. If you have a history of emphysema, and you are using Actiq, your doctor will carefully monitor your lung function.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...