Can I use Actiq if I have a history of emphysema?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of emphysema, but tell your doctor. Actiq is a narcotic lozenge that you hold in your mouth (it comes on a stick, similar to a lollipop) for 15 minutes for quick relief of breakthrough cancer pain. Like most narcotics, it affects the central nervous system, slowing breathing and potentially leading to breathing problems. These problems may be worse if you have a chronic lung disease such as emphysema. Emphysema is a form of chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD), which damages the air sacs in the lungs. If you have a history of emphysema, and you are using Actiq, your doctor will carefully monitor your lung function.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...