I am afraid that fentanyl is habit forming. Should I use it?

Fentanyl is a narcotic and may be habit-forming. However, you should not let fear of this keep you from treating your chronic pain. Dependence is possible, but if you choose to stop using this drug and gradually decrease the dose, then long-term dependence becomes much less likely.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...