Who is at risk for onycholoysis (nail lifting)?

Women are more likely than men to develop onycholysis. This is probably due to the fact that they usually keep their nails longer and visit a manicurist more often -- both situations can encourage trauma to the nail bed and infection. Additionally, certain medical conditions can increase your risk for onycholysis. Skin conditions like psoriasis and thyroid problems can also increase your chances of developing onycholysis.
People who are most at risk for onycholysis (the separation and lifting of the nail plate from the nail bed) include those who wear their nails very long or wear false fingernails, and those who have psoriasis, overactive thyroids, or other medical conditions. Fungal infections can also cause onycholysis in many people. Once the nail has lifted from the nail bed, infection with bacteria or yeast becomes more likely. Taking certain medications, including some antibiotics, may also raise risks for onycholysis. 

Continue Learning about Onycholysis (Nail Lifting)

Should I talk to my doctor about my onycholysis symptoms?
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of onycholysis, you should speak with your doctor. It is...
How does onycholysis affect the body?
The symptoms of onycholysis usually only affect the hands and feet. However, the root cause of onych...
What are some other nail conditions besides onycholysis?
Other nail conditions besides onycholysis include conditions like Beau's lines, brittle nails, koilo...
Is onycholysis painful?
Onycholysis is normally relatively painless. However, infections that cause onycholysis may cause so...