How is oligomenorrhea diagnosed?

Your doctor will diagnose oligomenorrhea after asking a lot of questions about your diet, exercise, and sexual health to determine possible causes of these problems. You will be given a pelvic examination to determine any abnormalities in that way. If you are sexually active, you will probably take a pregnancy test. Blood tests can determine thyroid function and hormone levels, and an ultrasound or CT scan checks for polycystic ovary syndrome. Your doctor will determine the cause of your oligomenorrhea if they determine that to be your diagnosis because the cause is just as important to treat as the symptoms.

Continue Learning about Oligomenorrhea

What increases my risk for oligomenorrhea?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
High levels of activity require high levels of energy intake—food. Working out too much may be stres...
Does oligomenorrhea affect adolescents differently than adults?
It is common that young women just beginning their period will experience irregular periods. They us...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with oligomenorrhea?
To care for someone with oligomenorrhea, it is important that you are aware of the cause of the diso...
Do adolescents grow out of oligomenorrhea?
Yes, adolescents often grow out of oligomenorrhea. The beginning of young woman's period is often ir...