What are the surgical options for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?

Paul T. Hoff, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
There are many surgical options for people with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), including surgery on the nose which may improve continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) tolerance or even resolve mild OSA. Surgery on the soft tissue of the mouth and throat include palate surgery, tonsillectomy and tongue surgery. Surgery on the tongue is often performed minimally invasively using the da Vinci robot. In some cases, people with OSA may have an underdeveloped jaw that can be corrected with either an oral appliance or surgery.

An implanted device, the Inspire hypoglossal nerve stimulator, can be used to provide low-level stimulation to the hypoglossal nerve that counteracts obstruction of airway due to relaxation of the tongue musculature during sleep. Data from the Stimulation Therapy for Apnea Reduction (STAR) trial and three-year outcomes show resolution of snoring and compliance with therapy at well over 80%.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Can I take a sleep aid or sleeping pills if I have obstructive sleep apnea?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
You can take a sleep aid if you have obstructive sleep apnea, but it's not usually recommended.
How can losing weight help my obstructive sleep apnea symptoms?
Craig B. Primack, MDCraig B. Primack, MD
Sleep apnea usually occurs during stages of sleep where the tongue and throat muscle relax. During t...
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?