What are the surgical options for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?

Dr. Paul T. Hoff, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT Specialist)

There are many surgical options for people with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), including surgery on the nose which may improve continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) tolerance or even resolve mild OSA. Surgery on the soft tissue of the mouth and throat include palate surgery, tonsillectomy and tongue surgery. Surgery on the tongue is often performed minimally invasively using the da Vinci robot. In some cases, people with OSA may have an underdeveloped jaw that can be corrected with either an oral appliance or surgery.

An implanted device, the Inspire hypoglossal nerve stimulator, can be used to provide low-level stimulation to the hypoglossal nerve that counteracts obstruction of airway due to relaxation of the tongue musculature during sleep. Data from the Stimulation Therapy for Apnea Reduction (STAR) trial and three-year outcomes show resolution of snoring and compliance with therapy at well over 80%.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

What are some of the causes of obstructive sleep apnea in children?
Some children develop obstructive sleep apnea. In children, sleep apnea can be caused by adenoids or...
How common is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is the most common form of sleep apnea. It is a potentially serious me...
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?