How can I get a good sleep if I have obstructive sleep apnea?

It depends on the severity of the sleep apnea. With some people raising their head and staying off their back will work. For others, it may require the use of a device that blows air in the nose and/or mouth called CPAP. Other treatment options in include an oral device that holds the airway open, or surgery.

See a sleep specialist for a diagnosis and then a review of treatment options for what might be best for you.

The first thing we do to help people with sleep apnea get good sleep is to educate them about sleep hygiene, which is very important. Good sleep hygiene means:

• Exercising in the morning
  • Avoiding caffeine, alcohol and sedative pills in the afternoon and evening
  • Sleeping in a quiet, pleasant room
  • Sticking to a consistent bedtime routine

We also suggest weight loss or bariatric surgery, if appropriate. The next solution might be a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) sleeping mask, which covers the nose and mouth and keeps airways open at night. The CPAP works for most people. If a person can’t tolerate the CPAP, there are other mouth appliance options. For people with congenital issues, surgery is sometimes an option, as well.

Continue Learning about Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Can obstructive sleep apnea cause stroke?
Stroke is typically not associated with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). However, people with untreate...
How can losing weight help my obstructive sleep apnea symptoms?
Craig B. Primack, MDCraig B. Primack, MD
Sleep apnea usually occurs during stages of sleep where the tongue and throat muscle relax. During t...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
What Are the Health Complications Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea?