How should I deal with being a perfectionist?

The core of all perfectionism is the intention to do something well. If you can keep your eye on your intention and desired outcome, adjusting your strategy when needed, you're fine. Being neat, organized, and detail-oriented is fine, just not in ways so time-consuming that you lose sight of priorities and can't do other valued things.

Perfectionists strive to have high personal standards. That's great. Keep doing that, but pay attention to preoccupations and to assigning mistakes too much importance. Perfectionism becomes a problem when driven by fear or rigid rules. When you ruminate about mistakes, when you can't tolerate making a mistake, when your strategy is to make no mistakes, that's when perfectionism starts veering off in the wrong direction.

Continue Learning about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
Am I Type A—Or Do I Have OCD?
You’re a worrier, you can’t sleep if the house is messy, you only submit work that’s absolutely perfect…but when you casually say, “I’m so OCD!” is it...
When does my need to be organized become obsessive-compulsive disorder?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
The need to be organized can start to border on obsessive-compulsive disorder when the need for perf...
How many people have OCD?
Wayne K. Goodman, MDWayne K. Goodman, MD
Many people with obsessive-compulstive disorder (OCD) never get treatment because of taboos about me...
What Is OCD?
What Is OCD?