Is obesity a cause of cancer?

Kelly Traver

Obesity is the largest nonsmoking lifestyle cause of cancer deaths in the United States. In spite of this, obesity rates continue to rise, especially in children and adolescents. Obesity is a significant risk factor for breast, uterine, kidney, and esophageal cancers and has a moderate effect on colon cancer. Studies suggest that obesity in the United States may account for 14 percent of cancer deaths in men and 20 percent of cancer deaths in women.

Continue Learning about Obesity

The Best Support for Your Health
The Best Support for Your Health
If you’re one of the 29 million North American adults with diabetes, 79 million with pre-diabetes, 32 million with elevated total cholesterol, 78...
When should I call my doctor if I am obese?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are obese, call your healthcare provider if: you have diarrhea due to your treatment for obes...
How safe is it for me to have surgery if I am obese?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
According to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, obesity is increasing in the US. In fact, nearl...
Is There a Genetic Component to Obesity?