How can I encourage size acceptance in my family?

Abby Ellin

While some of the size acceptance movement messages are difficult to accept (such as, you can be happy at 360 pounds), some seem more realistic and easier to sustain. Herewith some of my favorites:

• Let go of trying to change weight and focus on supporting solid self-care skills.
    • Explore playful physical activity, preferably for the whole family.
    • Don’t define some foods as “good” and others as “bad.”
    • Observe the “fat talk” between yourselves and others, and in your own head. What feelings would you be expressing if you couldn’t use the words, “fat, ugly, disgusting, bad”?
    • Show admiration in front of the kids for people of integrity and accomplishment of all sizes.
    • Teach kids how to stand up for friends and form alliances with kids who are being humiliated.  
    Teenage Waistland: A Former Fat Kid Weighs In on Living Large, Losing Weight, and How Parents Can (and Can't) Help

We've been inundated lately with books and articles about childhood obesity. Most offer cultural critique or nutrition and exercise advice — in tones that are alternately appalled and patronizing....

Continue Learning about Obesity

More People Obese Than Overweight in the US
    In the 1960s, the Detroit Lion’s Roger Brown was the NFL’s first regular player to weigh...
    What are the BMI risk categories?
    Keith Kreitz, MDKeith Kreitz, MD
    A healthy body mass index (BMI) risk category is 18.5 to 24.9. When people get to a BMI of 25 to 29....
    What respiratory problems are associated with obesity?
    Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
    Sleep apnea, a condition in which people stop breathing for brief periods, interrupts sleep througho...
    What Are the Health Risks of Belly Fat?
    What Are the Health Risks of Belly Fat?