How can I encourage size acceptance in my family?

Abby Ellin

While some of the size acceptance movement messages are difficult to accept (such as, you can be happy at 360 pounds), some seem more realistic and easier to sustain. Herewith some of my favorites:

• Let go of trying to change weight and focus on supporting solid self-care skills.
    • Explore playful physical activity, preferably for the whole family.
    • Don’t define some foods as “good” and others as “bad.”
    • Observe the “fat talk” between yourselves and others, and in your own head. What feelings would you be expressing if you couldn’t use the words, “fat, ugly, disgusting, bad”?
    • Show admiration in front of the kids for people of integrity and accomplishment of all sizes.
    • Teach kids how to stand up for friends and form alliances with kids who are being humiliated.  
    Teenage Waistland: A Former Fat Kid Weighs In on Living Large, Losing Weight, and How Parents Can (and Can't) Help

We've been inundated lately with books and articles about childhood obesity. Most offer cultural critique or nutrition and exercise advice — in tones that are alternately appalled and patronizing....

Continue Learning about Obesity

Your Chance of Beating Stress And Fat
    Your Chance of Beating Stress And Fat
    True, a healthy amount of body fat has great powers. It promotes reproductive health, good skin quality and clear thinking. Fat cells also help trigge...
    What should I do if I'm morbidly obese?
    Nicole Florence, MDNicole Florence, MD
    If you are considered to be morbidly obese, it is important to see your physician or a medical weigh...
    4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
    4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
    Don't make someone feel small just because they're a bit bigger.
    How Can Weight Management Impact Overall Health?