Can a person with obesity be considered healthy?

New research suggests that even if you feel like you’re perfectly healthy, obesity can be wreaking havoc under the surface.

Some people are called “fit and fat” -- heavy but healthy. On the other hand, others have a healthy body mass index (BMI) but have a high body fat percentage (also known as skinny fat), which means they are obese by definition. Some studies show that active overweight or obese people have a lower risk of death than skinny people who remain sedentary (and of course also lower than skinny smokers), while other research shows that no amount of exercise can make up for carrying too much body fat.

Strong evidence suggests that healthy obesity is impossible. A study looking at nearly 15,000 healthy adults found that far more obese participants than normal weight people had plaque in the arteries that flow to the heart. Though they seem healthy -- with no metabolic conditions, such as insulin resistance, which can lead to heart disease -- their blood vessels were actually in much worse shape. The calcium build-up in the plaque on their artery walls indicates early stage arterial heart disease long before symptoms are present.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.
Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

No. According to a recent study by the RAND organization, obesity is more damaging to health than smoking, high levels of alcohol consumption, and poverty. Obesity affects all major bodily systems - heart, lungs, muscle, and bones.

What the Drug Companies Won't Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn't Know: The Alternative Treatments That May Change Your Life--and the Prescriptions That Could Harm You

From one of today's leading authorities on natural medicine comes a provocative look into how the pharmaceutical and medical industries have created our current health crisis and a practical guide to...

Continue Learning about Obesity

Stress and Obesity—What’s the Connection?
Janet Jackson talks about how she’s used food to soothe tension. In an interview with the Telegraph she once said: “Food has always brought me comfort...
Can morbid obesity be treated through diet alone?
Treating morbid obesity through diet alone is not recommended. A healthy and safe calorie-restricted...
When should I call my doctor if I am obese?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are obese, call your healthcare provider if: you have diarrhea due to your treatment for obes...
What Is Obesity?
What Is Obesity?