The Facts About Obesity
Obesity is a serious condition that affects millions of people from all walks of life. Carrying around excess body fat can lower your self-confidence and wreak havoc on your body—from your brain to your feet and virtually everything in between—and make you more susceptible to a host of diseases. But don't despair! If you want to understand what causes obesity and learn how to prevent and treat it, you've come to the right place.
Live Healthy, Live Happy
Being obese doesn't mean you can't live a full, satisfying life. The key is to work with your doctor to get started on the path toward a healthier, slimmer you—and to teach both yourself and others how to love and support you every step of the way.
Prevent Emotional Eating withBrain Fit LifeStart Training
AskMDFind out how to manage your weight
How much American waistlines have grown over the past decade
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Michael Snyder, MD
Surgery, Bariatric Medicine
Rose Medical Center
When should I be worried about my weight?
If your weight starts affecting your life and health, then you you should see a doctor. Michael Snyder, MD, a bariatric surgeon at the Denver Center for Bariatric Surgery, says it's not what your weight is, but what it does to you.
- Q What is normal weight obesity?
- Q How can morbid obesity be treated?
- Q Are Americans' waistlines expanding?
- Q Is the rate of morbid obesity increasing?
- Q How does hypothyroidism affect morbid obesity?
- Q How does depression affect morbid obesity?
- Q How does obesity affect lifespan?
- Q What is being done to combat obesity in Native American communities?
- Q What is morbid obesity?
- Q Who is considered obese?
Recent Obesity Articles
If you are obese, it's time to take control of your weight, your health and your life with our Action Plans.
Why Too Much Bad Fat Makes You Fatter Women and the Obesity Epidemic: What the Latest Numbers Reveal When your 401(k) Gets Smaller, This Gets Bigger Global Epidemic: More People Obese Than Underweight See All Articles