What is nutritional medicine?

Stephen H. Atkins, PhD
Integrative Medicine
Nutritional Medicine is the study of food, its nutrients and how diet affects health and wellbeing.

The Nutritional Medicine practitioner views food, diet and nutritional supplements from the perspective of their therapeutic potential, providing dietary advice to clients and prescribing nutritional supplements to assist in the treatment of a broad range of health conditions.
Nutritional medicine is a rapidly growing area of research that will continue to gain momentum as we learn more and more about the connections between nutrition and health, not just in relation to skin health, but all kinds of health concerns. In fact, the link between nutrition and diseases like obesity, diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease are well documented. I expect us to learn more and more about the powerful influences diet can have on our skin health and ability to slow down the inevitable decline we call aging and its appearance on our bodies. Because we know that oxidative stress, inflammation, and, to a lesser extent, genetics, are the chief agers in our bodies, because they spur chronic conditions that wear us down physically, gaining the upper hand on these as best we can is key. And if diet can help this in any way, then we should be paying attention.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

4 Big Reasons Why You Should Be Eating More Fiber
What if a single nutrient could: lower your risk of death over time by 15 to 30 percent lower cholesterol and blood pressure help you maintain a ...
Do I crave a certain food because my body needs its nutrients?
Abby EllinAbby Ellin
Maria Pelchat, an associate professor at the Monell Chemical Senses Center, a private research f...
What should I eat occasionally on the Traffic Light eating style?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here is a list of foods that you should eat weekly or sometimes when following the Traffic Light e...
What Are the Health Concerns About Microwave Popcorn?