What happens if I don’t eat enough?

• A Family Medicine, answered on behalf of
    What happens if I don’t eat enough?
    Not eating enough can lead to serious illness. In this video, Larry Gooss, DO, a family practice doctor at Chippenham & Johnston-Willis Hospitals, explains how to cut calories without skimping on nutrition. 
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • A , Fitness, answered
    There's a lot of discussion among dieters about why weight loss is so difficult, and one theory I’ve heard is that they are not eating enough. Actually, this is most often not the case. Sometimes it is very hard to tell how much you are eating and drinking, and working with a nutrition coach using tools such as food and drink logs, can help develop a clearer picture of how much you are eating. Most often, if someone is not losing weight, it is because they are not thoroughly aware of how much they are eating or drinking. Of course if you are trying to maintain weight and you’re losing weight, or gain weight and you are not successful, you need to eat larger servings, more frequently, of more energy dense foods like nut butters, whole grains, and vegan cheeses.
    Helpful? 10 people found this helpful.
  • If you don’t take in enough calories every day, you may not be as fast and as strong as you could be, and may even break down rather than build up your muscles. If you are a healthy weight (in other words you don’t need to gain or lose weight), here are some general guidelines to help you eat enough:
    • Don’t skip meals. It is too hard to make up the lost food later.
    • Add a healthy snack between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, and right before bed.
    • Make higher calorie healthy foods part of your daily routine (nuts and nut butters, bananas, granola and other cereals, whole grain breads and muffins, dried fruit, juices, and smoothies).
    Helpful? 4 people found this helpful.
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    If you don't eat enough food, your body will respond in many ways, some of them potentially harmful. Perceiving that food is scarce, your body will initiate changes that lower your need for calories. Your metabolism may slow down and you may feel tired. You might feel an urge to binge, especially on sugar-laden foods. Chronic dieting, in fact, can lead to an eating disorder. Over time, not eating enough can also deprive your body of essential nutrients you need for health.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
Why is meat less energetically clean?