What is the difference between vitamins and minerals?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Vitamins and minerals differ in basic ways. Vitamins are organic and can be broken down by heat, air, or acid. Minerals are inorganic and hold on to their chemical structure. That means the minerals in soil and water easily find their way into your body through the plants, fish, animals, and fluids you consume. But it's tougher to shuttle vitamins from food and other sources into your body because cooking, storage, and simple exposure to air can inactivate these more fragile compounds.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

How Eating Green Helps Prevent Colon Cancer
Gang Green Nation is fan-central for the New York Jets football team. But since gangrene is also the name for limb-threatening cell death, fans may ha...
What are micronutrients?
ChuiceChuice
Micronutrients are chemical compounds that are needed in small quantities but play a vital role in r...
What is the role of micronutrients in the body?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Micronutrients, which are vitamins and minerals, are extremely important for good health. Vitamins a...
What Should I Know Before I Start Drinking Beet Juice Regularly?