How much caffeine is in food and beverages?

Chocolate does contain caffeine, but not much. A one-ounce milk chocolate bar or an 8-ounce glass of chocolate milk each contains about 5 milligrams of caffeine. Compare that to 85 milligrams of caffeine in 8 ounces of regular-brew coffee. When you order a latte or cappuccino, keep in mind that one 2-ounce shot of espresso gives you 80 milligrams of caffeine. If you're trying to gradually cut back on caffeine, black tea or green tea may be an option. Both have 40 milligrams of caffeine per 8 ounces, about half the amount in coffee.
William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
The list below details the amount of caffeine (in milligrams) contained in various sources:
  • Brewed coffee (1 cup): 100-150 mg
  • Instant coffee (1 cup): 85-100 mg
  • Decaffeinated coffee (1 cup): 2-4 mg
  • Tea (1 cup): 30-40 mg
  • Cocoa (1 cup): 40-55 mg
  • Cola (8 ounces): 40-60 mg
  • Chocolate bar: 25 mg
Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the Mind-Body Brain-Gut Connection: 8 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functiona (The Mind-Body Connection Series)

One in five people suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, or other functional bowel disorders. As a result, irritable bowel syndrome is the second leading cause of worker absenteeism. This...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Veggies that Protect Your Health—and Refined Ones that Don’t
What do Forrest Whitaker, Bill Clinton and Carrie Underwood have in common? They’re all vegetarians. And if they dodge French fries and hushpuppies, t...
When should I consult a nutritionist?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
You may want to consult a nutritionist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) website, or ...
How do my genes influence my body's reaction to food?
The University of North Carolina Nutrition Research Institute is a leader in the growing field o...
What Are Health Benefits of Whole-Grain Pastas?