How does exposure to favorite foods affect the brain?

Abby Ellin
Dr. Gene-Jack Wang and his colleagues at Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, New York, studied twelve men and women whose average age was twenty-eight. They fasted for almost a day and then underwent Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans, which gauge brain metabolism. They were asked to describe their favorite foods and how they like to eat them. Then they were shown some of those foods.

According to the PET scan, their brains lit up when they saw and smelled their favorite foods, similar to the brains of cocaine addicts when they think about their next line. The favorite food items most frequently selected: bacon-egg-cheese sandwich, cinnamon buns, pizza, hamburgers with cheese, fried chicken, lasagna, barbecue ribs, ice cream, brownie, and chocolate cake.

In an issue of the journal NeuroImage, the authors wrote that, “Food presentation significantly increased metabolism in the whole brain by 24 percent and these changes were largest in superior temporal, anterior insula, and orbitofrontal cortices” -- areas associated with addiction.  
Teenage Waistland: A Former Fat Kid Weighs In on Living Large, Losing Weight, and How Parents Can (and Can't) Help

We've been inundated lately with books and articles about childhood obesity. Most offer cultural critique or nutrition and exercise advice — in tones that are alternately appalled and patronizing....

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Keep Kale Cool
Keep Kale Cool
When the weather service issues a winter storm warning, folks stock up on essentials. This often leads to a shortage of supermarket items such as toil...
What foods can change my mood?
Julie Holland, MDJulie Holland, MD
Foods that can change your mood for the better include complex carbs, and foods that are rich in ome...
What are good sources of vitamin D?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Vitamin D is associated with helping to maintain bone density, supporting a strong immune system, he...
What Healthy Foods Should I Keep in My Kitchen for My Family?