What are good sources of soluble fiber?

Marisa Moore
Good sources of soluble fiber include dried beans and peas, oats, barley, flaxseeds, apples, citrus fruits, carrots and psyllium.
The following foods are good sources of soluble fiber:
  • Oatmeal and oat bran
  • Barley
  • Psyllium husk or seeds (found in some bran cereals and in fiber supplements)
  • Legumes (dried beans and peas, cooked)
  • Nuts
  • Pectin (from some fruits like apples, citrus fruits, pears, and prunes)
  • Vegetables (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and carrots)
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Beans, legumes such as lentils, fruits such as apples, vegetables, oats, oat-based products, and other grains are all good sources of soluble fiber. Aim for approximately 30 g daily.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Why Everyone Should Monitor Their Blood Sugar
Glucose spikes, even in folks without prediabetes or diabetes, can be threatening. A new study in PLOS Biology found that healthy people without predi...
How does the gliadin in wheat impact my appetite?
William Davis, MDWilliam Davis, MD
Gliadin is a hard-to-digest protein found in wheat that can negatively impact your appetite; it can ...
How does what I eat affect my hair?
For your hair to have the shine and shape that you want, it needs protein and healthy fat -- not dir...
5 Ways to Sneak More Nutrition into Kids' Meals