In what forms can tryptophan be taken?

You can buy tryptophan in pill or powder form as L-tryptophan. L-tryptophan is an amino acid found naturally in protein sources. The body turns L-tryptophan to 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) and then to serotonin, a neurotransmitter that affects mood, appetite and sleep, among other things.

L-tryptophan supplements are controversial because of possible safety concerns. The Food and Drug Administration took L-tryptophan supplements off the market for a time in the 1990s, after they were linked to a life-threatening syndrome that caused muscle pain, nerve damage and widespread inflammation in the body. The reaction may have been caused by contaminated L-tryptophan supplements.

You can also get tryptophan naturally by eating turkey, milk, chocolate, pumpkin, sunflower seeds and collard greens.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

What’s Good for Your Heart Is Good for Your Brain
Keeping your heart as healthy as possible will likely help your mind. Carra Richling from Ornish Lifestyle Medicine will help you learn how your diet ...
What are the health benefits of adding more colors to your diet?
Frances Largeman-Roth, RDFrances Largeman-Roth, RD
Adding more colorful food to your diet can help you lose weight, which is a concern for many people....
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
How Can I Get My Children to Eat More Vegetables?