In what forms can tryptophan be taken?

You can buy tryptophan in pill or powder form as L-tryptophan. L-tryptophan is an amino acid found naturally in protein sources. The body turns L-tryptophan to 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) and then to serotonin, a neurotransmitter that affects mood, appetite and sleep, among other things.

L-tryptophan supplements are controversial because of possible safety concerns. The Food and Drug Administration took L-tryptophan supplements off the market for a time in the 1990s, after they were linked to a life-threatening syndrome that caused muscle pain, nerve damage and widespread inflammation in the body. The reaction may have been caused by contaminated L-tryptophan supplements.

You can also get tryptophan naturally by eating turkey, milk, chocolate, pumpkin, sunflower seeds and collard greens.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

How Eating Green Helps Prevent Colon Cancer
Gang Green Nation is fan-central for the New York Jets football team. But since gangrene is also the name for limb-threatening cell death, fans may ha...
Why should I avoid food and drinks with fortified nutrients?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Sometimes foods and beverages are fortified with nutrients, such as soda pop with added vitamins and...
Can medications affect my body's absorption of nutrients?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Some medications can interfere with the absorption of certain nutrients or speed their excretion fro...
What Superfoods Can I Buy for $5 or Less?