How can I tell which foods have salt and which do not?

A good rule of thumb for avoiding sodium is to buy things as fresh as you can. For example, fresh vegetables are low in sodium, but canned vegetables can be very high in sodium as it is used as a preservative and flavor enhancer. If you buy canned for convenience, try to find those foods that are labeled low- or reduced sodium. But be cautious. Something that is labeled “reduced sodium” is not necessarily low-sodium -- it is just lower than the non-reduced form of that product.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Foods That Boost Your Mood
Foods That Boost Your Mood
The Netflix series Sugar Rush is a reality show that brings teams together to create super-sweet treats. There are episodes like “Kids in a Candy Stor...
Where can I find a dietitian who would help me gain weight?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
There are many places to find a registered dietitian (RD). Many RDs are working in the outpatient de...
What foods can change my mood?
Julie Holland, MDJulie Holland, MD
Foods that can change your mood for the better include complex carbs, and foods that are rich in ome...
What Is Innovation?
What Is Innovation?