Can medications affect my body's absorption of nutrients?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Some medications can interfere with the absorption of certain nutrients or speed their excretion from the body. You're more likely to suffer from nutrient depletion and worrisome interactions if you take several medications, regularly drink alcohol, eat poorly, or have health problems that increase your need for certain nutrients. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist and a nutritionist to seek alternative medications or foods so you can absorb the nutrients you need.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

What You're NOT Eating Might Be Hurting You
What if a single nutrient could: lower your risk of death over time by 15 to 30 percent lower cholesterol and blood pressure help you maintain a ...
What are good sources of vitamin D?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Vitamin D is associated with helping to maintain bone density, supporting a strong immune system, he...
What should I do to prepare for a nutritional cleanse?
Alejandro Junger, MDAlejandro Junger, MD
The best way to prepare for a nutritional cleanse is go on an elimination diet and eat cleanly for a...
What's a Healthy Way to Approach Breakfast?