Do fats and protein play a role in promoting satiety?

Both fats and proteins play a role in satiety, but their roles are different. Satiety means how full and satisfied you feel after eating. Research shows that you are more likely to feel full if your meal includes some protein. Fat, however, has only a weak satiety effect, so if you eat a high-fat meal it's easy to consume a lot of calories before you feel full.

There's no need to ban all fat or eat an extremely high-protein diet. A balanced low-fat diet with enough protein, along with plenty of fruits and vegetables, as part of a calorie-controlled weight-loss plan, can help you feel full on fewer calories.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Feeling Fat? Eat This Fish for Protection
Okay, so maybe you're not at your dream weight. (Who is?) But you could guard against some of the health risks that come with extra pounds just by eat...
How often should I eat if I want to lose weight?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
Frequency of eating is very important. The more often you eat the better for your metabolic rate how...
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
Lose weight (without sacrificing flavor) with these simple food swaps.
What's Wrong With the American Healthcare System Today?