What is pregorexia?

Pregorexia is a term coined by the media that refers to a pregnant woman who exercises excessively and reduces calories dramatically in order to rigidly control pregnancy weight gain. There are no good statistics on this condition or these behaviors at this time. Although gaining too much weight in pregnancy is a much more prevalent problem, only significantly overweight women who then become pregnant should be on somewhat-restricted diets, with the oversight of a doctor and medical team.

Experts think that most women at risk for this condition have subclinical eating disorders that become more problematic with pregnancy weight gain, or have had eating disorders in the past. Complicated emotional feelings also can help to instigate this condition. Specific signs include discussing pregnancy as if it isn’t real, skipping meals or eating alone, exercising obsessively, and rigidly counting calories.

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

Pregnancy: Think Before You Drink
Pregnancy: Think Before You Drink
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10 percent of pregnant women say they’ve had some alcohol, and one out of every 33 admits...
Can my diet in pregnancy influence my child's food preferences?
Linda Lockett-BrownLinda Lockett-Brown
The effect of foods eaten during pregnancy in the baby has been a subject of discussion for thousand...
What should I eat during week 23 of pregnancy?
You should make sure to maintain a healthy diet with a balance of protein and vitamins like folic ac...
What Are Common Misconceptions About Pregnancy and Diet?