What are the treatment options for catarrh?

For catarrh that only lasts a couple of days, you can relieve your discomfort by using a decongestant. If you have chronic catarrh, you can use medication to control your symptoms once they are diagnosed. Allergy medications like antihistamines will treat allergies, and steroid nasal sprays are used to treat nasal polyps. For non-allergic rhinitis, the main treatment is avoiding triggers, which are usually certain environmental factors like weather, pollution, and smoke; treatments may include nasal steroids, nasal irrigation, or an oral decongestant.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What is seasonal allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Seasonal allergic rhinitis is another name for hay fever, which is an allergic reaction to seasonal ...
Does nasal lavage help with nose disorders?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Nasal Lavage can give temporary relief of nasal congestion by rinsing out thick mucus from the nose....
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?