What is anosmia?

Anosmia is a disorder of the sensory system that causes a person to lose his or her sense of smell. Anosmia can be temporary or chronic, depending on the cause. In people with anosmia, damage to the nose or brain prevents the nerves in the nose from communicating to the area of the brain that identifies smells. People who cannot smell odors often cannot fully taste complex flavors either.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are nose disorders?
Nose disorders, also called nasal disorders, are the problems that you may experience in your nose d...
Can nose disorders be prevented?
Nose disorders cannot be completely prevented, but avoiding triggers and irritants that lead to infl...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?