What is anosmia?

Anosmia is a disorder of the sensory system that causes a person to lose his or her sense of smell. Anosmia can be temporary or chronic, depending on the cause. In people with anosmia, damage to the nose or brain prevents the nerves in the nose from communicating to the area of the brain that identifies smells. People who cannot smell odors often cannot fully taste complex flavors either.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What is seasonal allergic rhinitis?
Seasonal allergic rhinitis is another name for hay fever, which is an allergic reaction to seasonal ...
What are some triggers of non-allergic rhinitis?
Rhinitis is a condition in which the blood vessels that line the nose become inflamed and swollen, c...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?