What is the first aid treatment for nosebleeds?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
The following are first aid treatment guidelines for nose bleeds:
  • Put on gloves or find a barrier for your hands.
  • Have victim sit, leaning forward, and gently blow out blood clots. Immediately pinch together the soft part of both nostrils while pushing into the face bone.
  • Continue constant pressure for 5 minutes, pinching harder if bleeding persists.
  • Seek medical assistance if you're unable to control the bleeding after 15 minutes, or if bleeding is heavy, or the victim has trouble breathing.
  • Do not ask the victim to lean their head back.
  • Do not use an ice pack on the nose or forehead.
  • Do not press on the bone/bridge of the nose between the eyes.
  • Do not pinch nostrils and press into face if broken face bones are suspected.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How are sinusitis and rhinitis treated?
Alen N. Cohen, MDAlen N. Cohen, MD
Medicine and surgery can treat sinusitis, but rhinitis is treated with a nasal spray. In this video,...
How do I manage nose disorders on a daily basis?
Managing nose disorders may be as simple as keeping your nasal passages clear by blowing your nose. ...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?