What causes nosebleeds in children?

In children, nosebleeds are usually caused by bleeding close to the tip of the nose. They can be frightening; but it is a common condition in children.

Nosebleeds can also be caused by:

• Nose picking or blowing
  • Colds
  • Allergies
  • Sinus infections
  • Injury to the nose
  • Overly dry air
  • Foreign material in the nose

Nosebleeds occur when the blood vessels in the nose break down. While trauma and dry air are the most common causes of nosebleeds, some medical conditions such as sinusitis and certain medications, such as over-the-counter decongestant nasal sprays, can make the blood vessels in the walls of the nose fragile and prone to breaking down.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Is a nose disorder serious?
Unless a nose disorder is the result of a malignant tumor or causes serious obstruction to the airwa...
Is laryngeal papillomatosis considered a nose disorder?
Laryngeal papillomatosis is a tumor of the voice box caused by the human papillomavirus. Although la...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?