What causes nosebleeds in children?

Nosebleeds occur when the blood vessels in the nose break down. While trauma and dry air are the most common causes of nosebleeds, some medical conditions such as sinusitis and certain medications, such as over-the-counter decongestant nasal sprays, can make the blood vessels in the walls of the nose fragile and prone to breaking down.

In children, nosebleeds are usually caused by bleeding close to the tip of the nose. They can be frightening; but it is a common condition in children.

Nosebleeds can also be caused by:

• Nose picking or blowing
  • Colds
  • Allergies
  • Sinus infections
  • Injury to the nose
  • Overly dry air
  • Foreign material in the nose

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Do nose disorders affect children differently than adults?
Some nose disorders are common to both children and adults with similar symptoms and treatments. Som...
How does perennial allergic rhinitis affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Like seasonal allergic rhinitis caused by seasonal allergies, perennial allergic rhinitis occurs whe...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?