Will I need surgery to treat non-allergic rhinitis?

Non-allergic rhinitis usually causes minor symptoms that can be treated with over-the-counter or prescription medications, nasal sprays, staying hydrated, and avoiding the primary cause of this bothersome condition. In severe cases, this condition may lead to nasal polyps, which are soft, noncancerous growths along the nose lining or sinuses. If these polyps get large enough, they can restrict air to your nose and cause breathing problems. Surgery may be required to remove these types of polyps.

Although rare, a deviated nasal septum also may be the cause of your non-allergic rhinitis. Surgery is a treatment option to relieve any complications due to a deviated nasal septum.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Is a stuffy nose a type of nose disorder?
A stuffy nose, also known as nasal congestion, is not so much a type of nose disorder as it is a sym...
Can nose disorders be prevented?
Nose disorders cannot be completely prevented, but avoiding triggers and irritants that lead to infl...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?