Will I need surgery to treat non-allergic rhinitis?

Non-allergic rhinitis usually causes minor symptoms that can be treated with over-the-counter or prescription medications, nasal sprays, staying hydrated, and avoiding the primary cause of this bothersome condition. In severe cases, this condition may lead to nasal polyps, which are soft, noncancerous growths along the nose lining or sinuses. If these polyps get large enough, they can restrict air to your nose and cause breathing problems. Surgery may be required to remove these types of polyps.

Although rare, a deviated nasal septum also may be the cause of your non-allergic rhinitis. Surgery is a treatment option to relieve any complications due to a deviated nasal septum.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are the treatment options for perennial allergic rhinitis?
If possible, the best treatment for perennial allergies is to remove the allergen from the environme...
What are some triggers of non-allergic rhinitis?
Rhinitis is a condition in which the blood vessels that line the nose become inflamed and swollen, c...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?