How does seasonal allergic rhinitis affect the body?

Seasonal allergic rhinitis affects the body's immune system by causing it to react to harmless allergens as threatening invaders. White blood cell levels will usually increase in response to the allergen, and these cells trigger the release of histamine. Histamine then affects other parts of your body by causing symptoms like congestion, headache, itchy throat and eyes, and a runny nose.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
How do I manage my allergic rhinitis on a daily basis?
Pay attention to what brings on your allergic rhinitis symptoms, and try to avoid those allergens th...
What can I do for nasal congestion?
Tasneem H. Bhatia, MDTasneem H. Bhatia, MD
Natural remedies can be effective for clearing a stuffy nose, says integrative medicine speciali...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?