Is nose bleeding serious?

Brian J. Broker, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Its unusual for nose bleeding to cause a serious problem, unless it goes on unchecked long enough to cause significant blood loss. Even though it may look like a lot of blood loss over a short time, it usually takes more than an hour to lose a significant amount of blood from a nose bleed. Certainly, you should pinch the nose towards the bottom and try to stop the bleeding. If it doesn't stop after a few minutes of pinching, you should see a doctor or an emergency room. Fortunately, most causes of nose bleeds are very benign and can be easily fixed by an Ear, Nose and Throat Physician.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
What are nose disorders?
Nose disorders, also called nasal disorders, are the problems that you may experience in your nose d...
Is a stuffy nose a type of nose disorder?
A stuffy nose, also known as nasal congestion, is not so much a type of nose disorder as it is a sym...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?