How are polyps of the nose and sinuses treated?

The initial treatment of nasal polyps is inhaled steroids through the nose. When the polyps are severe, your medical provider may consider prescribing oral steroids as well. Along with steroids, nasal polyps can also be improved with  nasal washes and with treatment of allergies. If none of these medical therapies work, surgical removal of the polyps may be considered, although they can often return.
Alen N. Cohen, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Polyps of the nose and sinuses can be treated with medications such as nasal sprays or antihistamines. Watch sinus surgeon Alen Cohen, MD, FACS, of West Hills Hospital, describe the symptoms of polyps and how they’re managed.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
Are there ever complications to surgery for nose disorders?
As with any surgery, nose disorder surgeries pose certain risk of complication. In addition to c...
What is the long-term prognosis for someone with nose disorders?
The long-term prognosis for nose disorder is good in that nose disorders are rarely serious. Some no...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?