How are polyps of the nose and sinuses treated?

Alen N. Cohen, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Polyps of the nose and sinuses can be treated with medications such as nasal sprays or antihistamines. Watch sinus surgeon Alen Cohen, MD, FACS, of West Hills Hospital, describe the symptoms of polyps and how they’re managed.
The initial treatment of nasal polyps is inhaled steroids through the nose. When the polyps are severe, your medical provider may consider prescribing oral steroids as well. Along with steroids, nasal polyps can also be improved with  nasal washes and with treatment of allergies. If none of these medical therapies work, surgical removal of the polyps may be considered, although they can often return.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What can I do for nasal congestion?
Tasneem H. Bhatia, MDTasneem H. Bhatia, MD
Natural remedies can be effective for clearing a stuffy nose, says integrative medicine speciali...
Is a nose disorder serious?
Unless a nose disorder is the result of a malignant tumor or causes serious obstruction to the airwa...
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?
What Can I Do for Nasal Congestion?