How does perennial allergic rhinitis affect the body?

Like seasonal allergic rhinitis caused by seasonal allergies, perennial allergic rhinitis occurs when the membranes inside the nose become inflamed. This results in congestion and a runny nose. The allergic reaction may also include itching, sneezing, nasal congestion, and itching or watering of the eyes. Allergic rhinitis in general (be it seasonal or perennial) is a condition that as many as one in five people have.

Avoiding allergens is the best way to prevent allergic rhinitis, but if your allergies are perennial, this can be tricky. Preventing allergic rhinitis may involve removing draperies and carpets, frequent cleaning, using special air filters, using dehumidifiers, running the air conditioning and replacing down pillows and comforters with synthetic ones. Allergy shots may also be used to prevent allergic reactions.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
How do nose disorders affect the body?
Regardless of the cause of nose disorder, the effect on the body is determined by the severity of th...
Is a nose disorder serious?
Unless a nose disorder is the result of a malignant tumor or causes serious obstruction to the airwa...
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?
Why Do I Keep Getting Bloody Noses?