How does perennial allergic rhinitis affect the body?

Like seasonal allergic rhinitis caused by seasonal allergies, perennial allergic rhinitis occurs when the membranes inside the nose become inflamed. This results in congestion and a runny nose. The allergic reaction may also include itching, sneezing, nasal congestion, and itching or watering of the eyes. Allergic rhinitis in general (be it seasonal or perennial) is a condition that as many as one in five people have.

Avoiding allergens is the best way to prevent allergic rhinitis, but if your allergies are perennial, this can be tricky. Preventing allergic rhinitis may involve removing draperies and carpets, frequent cleaning, using special air filters, using dehumidifiers, running the air conditioning and replacing down pillows and comforters with synthetic ones. Allergy shots may also be used to prevent allergic reactions.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are the treatment options for perennial allergic rhinitis?
Dr. Christopher Maloney, NDDr. Christopher Maloney, ND
A large number of alternative treatments treat allergic rhinitis. Many programs and supplements focu...
Does nasal lavage help with nose disorders?
Brian J. Broker, MDBrian J. Broker, MD
Nasal Lavage can give temporary relief of nasal congestion by rinsing out thick mucus from the nose....
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?