Can anosmia be caused by other illnesses?

Anosmia can be caused by certain illnesses, such as the common cold, the flu, or a sinus infection. These illnesses affect the lining of the nose and nasal passages, which can impair a person's sense of smell. These conditions are temporary and when the illness has passed, a person's sense of smell returns to normal.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
What You Need to Know About Nosebleeds
You’re more likely to get nosebleeds during the cold and dry winter months. In most cases, nosebleeds aren’t anything to worry about, but they can be ...
What are the treatment options for allergic rhinitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If your allergic rhinitis symptoms are interfering with your daily life, you should talk to your doc...
What are the treatment options for perennial allergic rhinitis?
Dr. Christopher Maloney, NDDr. Christopher Maloney, ND
A large number of alternative treatments treat allergic rhinitis. Many programs and supplements focu...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?