Can anosmia be caused by other illnesses?

Anosmia can be caused by certain illnesses, such as the common cold, the flu, or a sinus infection. These illnesses affect the lining of the nose and nasal passages, which can impair a person's sense of smell. These conditions are temporary and when the illness has passed, a person's sense of smell returns to normal.

Continue Learning about Nose Disorders

Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal Polyps and Eosinophilic Asthma
Nasal polyps are benign growths that form in the nasal cavity and sinuses. Shaped like teardrops, they vary in size and may form on their own or in cl...
Are there alternative treatments for nose disorders?
The symptoms of nose disorders may be treatable with some alternative treatments. Nasal irrigation, ...
Does nasal lavage help with nose disorders?
Nasal lavage, or nasal irrigation, helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation connected to nose d...
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?
What Can I Do About My Runny Nose?