Should I let my doctor know I am taking Aleve?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Absolutely! Tell your healthcare provider about all OTC medications, vitamins, even herbal teas. Everything you regularly take is important. Aleve is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). When you see this class of drug, think possible stomach upset, even ulcers and bleeding, if abused or if taking with other similar or blood-thinning medication. Know that Aleve/NSAIDs can be toxic when taken in higher doses; it can decrease or increase in strength by interacting or using the same metabolism of a prescribed medication. Lithium levels are increased if you also have Aleve on board. It can affect the dose of a certain class of antibiotics (aminoglycosides) when you take them in same day. Aleve is listed as "probably safe" for breastfeeding when taken in usual doses. Also, consensus is that NSAIDs can increase cardiovascular events (heart attack or stroke) even if you are not otherwise at risk. So, you see, what you put into your body is well worth sharing with the medical personnel you trust your health to. Too much information to your doctor is impossible.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
According to research revealed at the 2015 European League Against Rheumatism Annual Congress meeting, many women stop ovulating after taking standard...
Are there side effects to long-term use of NSAIDs?
Major side effects can occur from the long-term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs...
What other drugs affect NSAIDs?
NSAIDs reduce blood flow to the kidneys and therefore reduce the action of diuretics and decreas...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?