Should I let my doctor know I am taking Aleve?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Absolutely! Tell your healthcare provider about all OTC medications, vitamins, even herbal teas. Everything you regularly take is important. Aleve is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). When you see this class of drug, think possible stomach upset, even ulcers and bleeding, if abused or if taking with other similar or blood-thinning medication. Know that Aleve/NSAIDs can be toxic when taken in higher doses; it can decrease or increase in strength by interacting or using the same metabolism of a prescribed medication. Lithium levels are increased if you also have Aleve on board. It can affect the dose of a certain class of antibiotics (aminoglycosides) when you take them in same day. Aleve is listed as "probably safe" for breastfeeding when taken in usual doses. Also, consensus is that NSAIDs can increase cardiovascular events (heart attack or stroke) even if you are not otherwise at risk. So, you see, what you put into your body is well worth sharing with the medical personnel you trust your health to. Too much information to your doctor is impossible.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What are side effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
NSAIDs can have serious side effects on the digestive system and are usually not recommended for con...
What happens if I overdose on NSAIDs?
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have overdosed on an NSAID. Overdose symptoms ...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?