How do nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) relieve headache pain?

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen and naproxen, relieve pain by inhibiting prostaglandins, compounds implicated in the inflammatory responses. These drugs help reduce the swelling associated with the pain of headaches.

NSAIDs, along with analgesics, are considered a first-line treatment for sufferers of mild to moderate headache pain. These medications have been proved effective in preventing migraines; in particular, naproxen is especially effective in preventing menstrual migraines.

NSAIDs may be taken in conjunction with metoclopramide as first-line treatment for migraines to reduce nausea and/or vomiting.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What are precautions for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medication?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
All nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) should be taken with a glass of milk, food, or...
How should I store my acetaminophen and NSAIDs?
Storage of pain relievers like acetaminophen and NSAIDs is somewhat simple: keep it tightly shut in ...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?