Does Celebrex (celecoxib) help osteoarthritis pain?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Celebrex (celecoxib) does help osteoarthritis pain, as well as swelling, stiffness and joint tenderness. Osteoarthritis occurs when the cartilage that supports and cushions the joints of the hands, spine, hips and knees wears away, causing bones to rub against each other.

As the cartilage becomes increasingly damaged, chemicals called prostaglandins are released, which cause nerve endings to send pain signals to the brain. Celebrex, a prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) called a COX-2 inhibitor, stops prostaglandin production to reduce pain. Celebrex can cause serious side effects, including an increased risk for a heart attack.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What are side effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)?
NSAIDs can have serious side effects on the digestive system and are usually not recommended for con...
What should I know before I take celecoxib?
If you are over age 65, celecoxib may not be a good option for you. If you are allergic to sulfa dr...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?