Why should I avoid sodas and sugary drinks?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Liquid sugars, which are found in soft drinks, sports drinks, sweetened iced teas, and sweetened waters, have no benefits for health and are clearly linked to higher risk of obesity, diabetes, and perhaps heart disease. Like refined grains and sugars in foods, liquid sugars cause harmful spikes in your blood sugar and insulin, and liquid sugars also cause you to be hungrier and eat more. Natural (beet or cane) sugars have the same effects as high fructose corn syrup (all contain about 50% fructose), and there is no reason to include these in your diet. Skip the sugary drinks and have some unsweetened tea or sparkling water instead.
Drinking sugary sodas increases risk of diabetes by 26%, says research in the journal Diabetes Care. The same study found a 20% higher risk of developing metabolic syndrome, and even drinking just one 12-ounce sugary drink raised type 2 diabetes risk by about 5%.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD

Sugary drinks have no nutritional value and increase the chance for obesity. A recent study found that people eat more calories on days that they consume sugary drinks. In this video, Robin Miller, MD,  discusses the dangers of sugary drinks.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Can This Drink Increase Your Risk of Stroke?
A long drive. An afternoon slump. An upcoming exam that requires an all-nighter for prep. A rainy, snooze-button-heavy Monday morning. In situations l...
Why do sugary drinks cause weight gain?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
One can of a sugared drink accounts for about 200 calories, on average. Consuming one can every ...
How can drinking a non-alcoholic beer improve my sleep quality?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Drinking a non-alcoholic beer can improve sleep quality because of the hops in the beer; it has a se...
How Can I Cut Down on High-Calorie Drinks?